The Idaho Secretary of State’s office maintains this web site as a public service. Please keep in mind, however, that official business conducted with our office is governed by Idaho’s Public Records Law and is subject to disclosure. You can view the Idaho Public Records Law Manual (PDF) on the Idaho Attorney General’s web site.
We do not collect personal information about you when you visit our web site unless you choose to give that information to us. If you are conducting business with us, we ask for information required by law and needed to complete the transaction.
However, if you are creating an account on one of the Secretary of State’s business or elections systems, you will be required to provide Personally Identifiable Information (PII). Any PII provided to us for this purpose, including email addresses, will only be used for its intended purpose and protected in a manner consistent with federal and state regulations and privacy laws.
Personally Identifiable Information
If you choose to provide us with PII on an Secretary of State’s website, through such methods as completing a web form or sending us an email, we will use that information to provide you the information or service you have requested, or respond to your message. The information we may receive from you varies based on what you do when visiting one of our sites.
If you send us email, your email address will be included as part of the message. You also may be sending us personal information such as your name, street address, or telephone number. When you email questions or requests we use your email address to reply to your message, or we may redirect your message (including your email address) to another government agency or person who is in a better position to answer your question. We save email sent to this office for a period of time in case of need for follow up or to make sure that your inquiry or request has been taken care of. We do not extract or compile personal information from email sent to us.
When submitting forms and filings you may be providing personal information. Please be aware that the information you submit (electronically, by mail or in person) is public record and is subject to disclosure.
We use analysis tools to automatically collect statistical information which is used for purposes such as assessing what information is of most interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas. The data we collect does not reveal your personal identity. If you browse through our web site and read or download information, we automatically collect and store the following information about your visit:
- The IP address from which you are accessing our site. (This is NOT your email address.)
- The type of browser and operating system used to access our site.
- The date of your visit and the web pages and directories within our site that you visit.
We take the following steps to secure the information we collect:
- Employ internal access controls to ensure that only personnel who have access to your information are those with a need to do so to perform their official duties.
- Train appropriate personnel on our privacy and security policies and compliance requirements.
- Secure the areas where we retain paper copies of the information we collect online.
- Perform regular backups of the information we collect online to ensure against loss.
- Use technical controls to secure the information we collect online including, but not limited to:
- Secure Socket Layer (SSL)
- Password protections
- Periodically test our security procedures to ensure personnel and technical compliance.
- Employ external access safeguards to identify and prevent unauthorized access by outsiders that attempt to “hack” into, or cause harm to, the information contained in our systems.
- We hold our contractors and other third-party providers to the same high standards that we use to ensure the security, confidentiality, and integrity of personal information they may have access to in the course of their work completed on behalf of the Secretary of State.